Find Spot record MDR2325 - Lead pig, Bradwell County Primary School, Bradwell
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 1724 8130 : Bradwell, Lead Pig: Roman pig of lead found in July 1894 during the excavations of the foundations for new Board School buildings at Bradwell. Now in Sheffield Museum. (1, 4) Present location of find confirmed. (2) Dimensions: Weight: 112 pounds, Length: 20 inches, Breadth: 5.5 inches, Thickness: 3 inches. (3) A worn pig of Roman shape found in 1894 when digging school foundations. The possibility that the face once had an inscription cannot be discounted. (5)
- <1> SDR7085 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. Victoria County History: Derbyshire, Vol.1. p 232.
- <2> SDR6284 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 28-SEP-65.
- <3> SDR14336 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0393.
- <4> SDR20398 Bibliographic reference: 1896. Buxton Chronicle, January 25th, 1896.
- <5> SDR23288 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1999. 'Prehistoric and Roman mining in the Peak District- present knowledge and future research', Mining History: The Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society.
|Grid reference||SK 1724 8130 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRADWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 11:56AM