Site record MDR23253 - Mine Shafts, Enclosure Walls and Small Building, off Milken Lane, Church Street, Ashover
Type and Period (1)
- MINE SHAFT (Elizabethan to Georgian - 1600 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- None recorded
Mine Shafts, Enclosure Walls and Small Building, off Milken Lane, Church Street, Ashover, of post medieval date. Excavations carried out in 2018, which followed an earlier evaluation, geophysical survey and desk-based assessment, established the presence of various post medieval remains. Three backfilled mineshafts were recorded, in addition to associated enclosure walls, and a small building. The building (Building 1) was south of what the excavators called Enclosure 3 and west of Enclosure 4, and had a footprint of c80m square. It appeared to be of a single storey, of drystone built sandstone rubble walls. The enclosure walls, which defined four distinct spaces, and respected the position of the building and the mine shafts, 'these remains were interpreted as the fragmentary remains of Coes or small sheds built to surround a shaft in order to serve as a shelter and accommodate miners' equipment.' One of the three mine shafts was within Enclosure 2 and was c4m in diameter, it had been backfilled and a 17th century clay tobacco pipe stem was recovered. A second mineshaft was in Enclosure 3 and was c3.4m in diameter. One of the walls of Enclosure 3 had been robbed. A final recorded shaft was in Enclosure 4 and was 5.3m in diameter. (1) All of these features post-dated two, apparently enclosure gullies, and were followed by modern agricultural features including two drainage gullies and buried calf remains. (1) The building, in particular, was identified and recorded by a previous evaluation carried out in 2017, in addition to a number of 'linear features' and what was probably the fill of the mineshafts. (2) The stratigraphic relationships between these features, however, were only clarified upon the 2018 excavation (above). An earlier geophysical survey identified a number of potential archaeological anomolies, including linear features. (3) A map regression was also carried out before groundworks took place. (4)
- <1> SDR24604 Unpublished document: Bassendale, K (ARS Ltd). 2019. Archaeological Excavation at Milken Lane, Ashover, Derbyshire.
- <2> SDR24374 Unpublished document: Cobbold, T (ARS Ltd). 2018. An Archaeological Evaluation on Land at Milken Lane, Ashover, Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR24370 Unpublished document: Durkin, R (ARS Ltd). 2017. Geophysical Survey of Land at Milken Lane, Ashover, Derbyshire.
- <4> SDR24560 Unpublished document: Burpoe, M (ARS Ltd). 2017. An Historical Map Regression of Land at Milken Lane, Ashover, Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||SK 3506 6337 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2020 7:53PM