Former site of outbuilding of Etwall Hall, off Main Street, Etwall, possibly dating to the 17th century.
It is believed that construction of the first house at the site of Etwall Hall began around 1495, once John Port acquired land in the village. He was named Lord of the Manor two weeks before his death in 1540, and it is believed that parts of Port's original house were incorporated into the first hall on the site. Beginning in 1646, the hall was re-built by Sir Samuel Sleigh of Ashe once he had bought the lordship and property, a re-building project that used sandstone from Tutbury Castle. Later modifications to the building were carried out in 1713 and 1726 by Sleigh's great nephew Samuel Chetham, and it was that design which stood at the site until its demolition in 1955. No records were made at the time of demolition, but it was reported that a priest hole was discovered behind a fireplace in one of the bedrooms. (1)
Glover, a topographer, described the property in c1820: 'This ancient pile of buildings… situate on an elevation west of the church in the village of Etwall, surrounded by stately trees, and approached from the road by a lodge entrance. The house contains spacious and great halls, dining room, lower and upper drawing rooms, gallery, breakfast room, servants hall, house keepers room, butlers pantry, smoke room, kitchens, scullery, larder, dairy, laundry and other necessary offices, eleven best bedrooms, six servant bedrooms, necessary dressing rooms, closets etc. Stabling for ten horses, double and single coachhouses, cowhouses, barns, piggeries and all other outbuildings and appurtenances. The gardens and terrace, walks etc are in a high state of preservation. From 18 to 20 acres of capital grassland surrounds the Hall, through which runs an excellent trout stream. This fine old county mansion is the property and residence of Rowland Cotton Esq.' (1)
The location of the outbuilding is presumed based on the layout of the complex and roadways depicted on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880, and it's construction is assumed to have taken place with the re-building that began in 1646.