Scheduled Monument record MDR2331 - Palisaded hilltop enclosure, Dirt Low, Castleton
Type and Period (1)
- PALISADED ENCLOSURE (Late Bronze Age to Roman - 1000 BC to 409 AD)
An irregular enclosure at the head of Pindale found by L.H. Butcher. (1) An irregular eight sided enclosure at SK 1562 8207, identified on aerial photographs and on the ground. The area is covered in very long grass and it is in the form of a bank and outer ditch, with a maximum scarp height of 0.3m. Many rough weathered limestone boulders are present, some on the perimeter. The age or purpose is not apparent. Surveyed at 1/2500, q.v. SK 18 SE 24. (4) Listed by Challis and Harding as an irregular enclosure with bank and outer ditch (Iron Age). (5) This site, first planned by Butcher comprises a c.2m wide stony bank, with frequent quartz-rock boulders, defining an irregular oval measuring c.50 by 60m. Breaks to the north and south-east may be entrances. The northern part of the interior has natural rock outcrops and a similar outcrop has been follows by the enclosure bank to the north-east. The date of these features is unknown. They may date from either the 1st or 2nd millennium BC. (7) Romano-British settlement. Visible components are building platforms, lynchets, possible single and double orthostatic walls, possible gateways and clearance cairns and sub-circular enclosures. The dating evidence comes from Roman coins found in the Hope Valley area. (8) Scheduled as a palisaded hilltop enclosure. (9)
- <1> SDR15456 Index: HAS, Preston, F L. Transcript Hunter Index. Volume 2.
- <2> SDR5717 Article in serial: East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists. 1963. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1963. p 1.
- <3> SDR6036 Aerial Photograph: F.21.58.R.A.F. 1094/0429.
- <4> SDR6119 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 22-SEP-65.
- <5> SDR2441 Monograph: Challis, A & Harding, W. 1975. 'Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne', British Archaeological Report 20. Part 2. pp 48 & 50.
- <6> SDR14417 Index: NDAT. 0603.
- <7> SDR20408 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1992. Aston Hall, land at Castleton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1992. No. 7, p 3.
- <8> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols.. No. 049, pp 177-178.
- <9> SDR18781 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2002. Scheduling Notice: Palisaded Hilltop Enclosure. 31306. Cat. No. 523.
- <10> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1986: 3335.1-3.
|Grid reference||SK 15616 82083 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2020 1:50PM