Building record MDR2334 - St Peter's Church, Hope
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1300 AD to 1900 AD)
St. Peter's church has an early 14th century west tower and Perpendicular aisles, clerestory and south porch. The chancel was rebuilt in 1882. (1) The church is in normal use . (2) Grade I listed church. Early 14th and 15th centuries and 1728-1730 and 1881-1882 additions and restorations. Gritstone ashlar, stainless steel roof hidden behind parapets. The tower is said to have been rebuilt in 1728 whilst the chancel was rebuilt in 1881-1882. The interior of the church contains a 19th century studded oak door on top of an older door, two 13th century foliated cross slabs, a rare, painted hymn board and other pieces of art. Gate piers to St Peter's Churchyard are grade II listed. Gate piers and attached squeezer stile are 18th century. Gritstone ashlar. The gate piers are square in plan with moulded caps surmounted by acorn finials. Attached to the west a squeezer stile of two slabs of gritstone, the upper parts cut away. Listed for group value only. See Listed Building data DDR6728. (3) The bells of St Peter's church are of historical significance. The set is a full set of six bells all made in 1733 by founder D Hedderly of Bawtry. (7)
- <1> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 162.
- <2> SDR6056 Bibliographic reference: F1 BHS 03-SEP-65.
- <3> SDR5547 Bibliographic reference: 1984. DOE (HHR) Boro of High Peak, Derbyshire. pp 32-33.
- <4> SDR14092 Index: NDAT. 1325. 1325.
- <5> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 462.31a.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 8112.1-2.
- <7> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1723 8347 (37m by 22m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 3 2015 10:40AM