Find Spot record MDR2335 - Roman coin, Hope Cement Works, Bradwell
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 1645 8205 Bradwell, Roman Coin. Silver coin of Vespasian of his sixth consulate AD 75, found when 'laying the foundations for the junction house at Earle's Cement Works, on a direct line between Grey Ditch and Mam Tor.' (1). Denarius of Vespasian found 1929 in a lump of clay in digging the foundations for the junction house for the conveyor belt from the quarry to the cement works. (2) Mr. S. Cooper of Bradwell said the coin was in the possession of the late Mr. L. Ashton. No further information. (3). The findspot is on the conjectural line of the Grey Ditch. (4).
- <1> SDR7872 Article in serial: Cockerton, R. 1953. 'Development of the Roman street system with special reference to Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeology Journal. Vol.73. p 78.
- <2> SDR6119 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 22-SEP-65.
- <2> SDR7314 Index: Preston, F L. 1956. Hunter Index.
- <4> SDR14335 Index: NDAT. 0392.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1645 8205 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRADWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 18 2014 6:28PM