Monument record MDR235 - Lime works, Peak Dale, Wormhill
Type and Period (3)
- LIME WORKS (Victorian to First World War - 1881 AD to 1914 AD)
- SHED (Victorian to First World War - 1881 AD to 1914 AD)
- STOREHOUSE (Victorian to First World War - 1881 AD to 1914 AD)
- None recorded
Remains of large concrete screening shed and bunker house, bearing the name "Buxton Lime Firms Co. Ltd, 1913". (1) Not recorded on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. However, a limekiln and associated buildings are visible on the second edition map. The third edition records the limekiln as disused. (2-4) Surviving earthworks and limekiln carved structures are still visible (2003). (5)
- <1> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 32.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR22888 Photograph: Ridley, S (RMC Aggregates). 2003. Peak Dale Limekilns, photographs of surviving earthworks.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0924 7691 (191m by 154m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2016 2:30PM