Skip to main content

Monument record MDR2397 - Former lead works, Brough, Brough and Shatton

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Brough Lead Works appear to have been built by R H Ashton of Marsh Green Cupola in about 1860, by enlarging an existing cotton mill, so as to manufacture white, grey and red lead. According to one source, it was later supposedly enlarged by his son, who built smelting works and a refinery. The total business was transferred to Brough in 1879 after the closure of Marsh Green, and was then known as Ashton and Moore. Ashton retired in 1880 and the reference to Ashton's son is therefore dubious. The smelting extension probably dates from this time. Under the ownership of J H Moore the mill was still in production after 1900. It is unlikely that Brough was a cupola works, as at this time it would be more usual to use Scotch Hearths and small blast furnaces for slag smelting. Today [1969] the works have been considerably modified by the present occupiers, but the flues leading to the chimney, as depicted on the OS 25 inch map of 1880, can in part still be traced. An early photograph of the Comb Mill just upstream has the upper part of the lead works chimney showing above the trees. (2) Lead smelting ended in c.1924. (4) The site consists of largely single storey mill buildings. On the wall of one mill building is a clock in the motif of the Festival of Britain with figures spelling ANAVIO (the Roman name for the fort at Brough) and hands representing a Roman eagle and Roman fasces. In 1846 this was a lace thread doubling mill operated by Pearson & Co. In 1860 Robert How Ashton enlarged it and converted it into a lead-smelting works. More recently its stone buildings have been the steel finishing works of Cooke and Stevenson Ltd. (springs, flap valves, diaphragms for heat-treated strip and wire) but the firm has now closed. (5) Brough Lead Works started in the early 19th century as a cotton spinning mill. It became a lace thread doubling mill in 1846, before being converted to a white lead works in 1860. It is now used as an agricultural merchants, Mill Farm, and remains in good condition [1977]. (7-8) Brough lead works flue. Condensing flue, about quarter of a mile, with extension at right angles, from the former Brough Lead Works (Stevenson Steel Works in 1981). (11) A depression can be seen on the east/west base. On the north/south base there is a twin flue part of which is arched and part fallen in, the uphill continuation is no longer apparent in the field. (12) The condensing flue leading from the Brough Lead Works to the south-east, with an extension at right angles leading to the south-west, was surveyed, photographed and described in some detail in 2001. There was a chimney at the south-east end of the flue which was removed within the 20th century. The south-west arm of the flue is in a different state of preservation than the parts of the flue running up the hillside. Here the flue can be seen as a low bank, whereas the two tunnels of the flue can be seen within the south-westerly section. (13) Today, it forms the the Brough Business Centre. (14)

Sources/Archives (14)

  • <1> Article in serial: Willies, L. 1969. 'Cupola lead smelting sites in Derbyshire, 1737-1900', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Vol. 4, part 1. p 102.
  • <2> Index: NDAT. NDAT: 2753.. 2753.
  • <3> Article in serial: Willies, L. 1972. 'The development of lead smelting in Derbyshire', Peak Archaeological Society. Volume 27, pp 3-9.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 6.
  • <6> Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1998-2001. Peak District National Park Authority Farm Surveys. 2001: 379.6-11.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Ashmore: 11. 1977: C90.
  • <8> Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 17.8-11.
  • <9> Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 478.17A-19A.
  • <10> Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 2615.1-3.
  • <11> Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. C129; L Willies, 27/3/81.
  • <12> Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 21.5.1992.
  • <13> Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2001. Mill Farm, Brough and Shatton, Bradwell, Thornhill, Aston and Hope, archaeological field survey,2001. Feature 16, p 6.
  • <14> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 10.



Grid reference Centred SK 180 823 (243m by 237m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

  • EDR3882
  • EDR3774
  • EDR3775

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 21 2015 2:59PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.