Building record MDR2415 - Marsh Cupola, later Marsh Farm, The Marshes, Hope
Type and Period (3)
- FARM (Victorian to 21st Century - 1879 AD? to 2050 AD)
- CUPOLA FURNACE (Former Type) (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1879 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- None recorded
Marsh Farm, Hope. Partially extant 19th century farmstead. The farmstead is formed of a loose courtyard with three sides of the yard formed of agricultural buildings and additional detached elements to the main plan. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The site is in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. (1) (2) (3) (4) SK 163 835: Marsh Farm: Farm buildings. (5) Marsh Farm cupola. Barn with large ventilating arches, with substantial stump of a chimney behind. The remains of R. H. Ashton Smelting Works can be seen and is one of a very few buildings still standing which was used for this purpose. (6) Marsh Cupola is first listed in Bagshawe's Directory of 1846 as belonging to Robert Howe Ashton Esq. The 1833 Jury Book shows R H Ashton as a lead smelter, Castleton, but though both the Howes and the Ashtons have a long history as ore buyers, they do not seem to have had a cupola before this. The cupola seems to have been in operation until about 1879. Today [ie 1969] the buildings remain structurally almost complete, although the chimney has been shortened. Considerable quantities of fume can be found on the walls of what was formerly a condenser near the chimney and the buildings have the arches typical of smelting houses. Formerly flues crossed under the yard. Slag and slaggy bricks abound (or did before they caused the death of some cattle) in the walls around what is now a farm. A survey has recently been carried out of the works. (7)
- --- SDR24717 Unpublished document: Wyre, I & Lynch, E (ARS Ltd). 2020. Two Former Farm Buildings, Marsh Farm, Hope: Heritage Statement.
- <1> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <2> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <3> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <4> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
- <5> SDR14558 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 1329.. 1329.
- <6> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Willies: 1981.
- <7> SDR19259 Article in serial: Willies, L. 1969. 'Cupola lead smelting sites in Derbyshire, 1737-1900', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Vol. 4, part 1. pp 107-108.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 163 835 (82m by 81m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 17 2020 11:40AM