Monument record MDR2419 - Possible church/building (site of), north-west of Stretfield Road, Hope
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHURCH ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
SK 1755 8242: Jack Bank, Building (site of). S. Evans records that during the demolition of a field barn on the breach, very large ancient walls were revealed. He suggests the presence of a town in the locality. (1, 2) This building may have been the church associated with the place name Eccles House [SMR 8129]. 'Eccles' originated from the historical word for church. (3, 4)
- <1> SDR14703 Index: NDAT. 2609.
- <2> SDR6022 Bibliographic reference: Evans, S. 1912. Bradwell Ancient & Modern.
- <3> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p 120.
- <4> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1754 8242 (26m by 34m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 11:57AM