Monument record MDR244 - Goyt packhorse Bridge, 92m north of covered Resevoir, Hartington Upper Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- PACKHORSE BRIDGE (Elizabethan to Mid 20th Century - 1600 AD to 1965 AD)
- FOOTBRIDGE (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1965 AD to 2050 AD)
- Listed Building (II)
Goyt Packhorse Bridge: SK 014749. Goyt's Packhorse Bridge spans 12 ft (4m) over Wildmoorstone Brook; the width between the parapets is 4 ft (1.3m) (2). The stone bridge is probably early 19th century and comprises one span with segmental arch and plain parapets. It is listed as Grade 3. (3). This bridge appears to be the Hartington bridge which was described as "a stone bridge for horses" in 1708. (3,6,7). A reconstructed 17th century packhorse bridge is at SK 0130 7325. It originally stood at SK 0142 7496 and was moved in August 1965 during the construction of a reservoir. (4). A single span, narrow packhorse bridge, with a plain round arch. This bridge, of probably, 17th or 18th century date, was rebuilt here in the 1960s when its original site at Goytsbridge was flooded under Errwood Resevoir (8). (9). According to the map, the bridge is now a footbridge. (10).
- <1> SDR179 Bibliographic reference: Jervoise, E. 1932. The Ancient Bridges of Mid and Eastern England. p17.
- <2> SDR9012 Article in serial: Mehew, S. 1956. 'Packhorse bridges in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Miscellany. Volume 1, pp 11-12.
- <3> SDR5461 Bibliographic reference: 1964. DOE(HHR) Chapel-en-le-Frith RD Derby. p15.
- <4> SDR6178 Personal Observation: F1 FC 17-MAR-66.
- <5> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D266.
- <6> SDR14530 Index: NDAT. 1177.
- <7> SDR9334 Bibliographic reference: NDAT. Mircofiche reel 3.
- <8> SDR5057 Bibliographic reference: Dodd, A & Dodd, E. 1980. Peakland Roads and Trackways. p30, 32.
- <9> SDR600 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. Feature 191, p 44.
- <10> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 01295 73256 (12m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2015 2:19PM