'Site of Chapel' appears here on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
A chapel 'doubtless served by the monks of Welbeck' stood near the present farm buildings, between Birchin Lee and Marebottom. It is marked on Saxton's Map of Derbyshire (1557) and later maps until Ellis' (1777) under the title 'New Chappel'. (2)
Four chapels were established by the Premonstratensians on the extensive monastic estate owned by Welbeck Abbey in North Derbyshire. One of these chapels lay across the river from Abbey Grange (see SMR 4614). It communicated with the grange by a bridge, the semi-artificial piers of which can still be seen on each side of the banks. The chapel was near the present farm buildings between Birchin Lee and Marebottom, which are now approached by a road called Chapel Lane. (3)
At the published site the hillside is slightly terraced but no traces of foundations were seen . (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp 242-3.
Article in serial: Kirke, H. 1924. 'Monastic settlements in the Peak Forest', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 46, pp 222-233. pp 230-1.
Bibliographic reference: F1 JB 30-MAR-65.
Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. B214.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1677 9223 (26m by 21m) (Centre)
HOPE WOODLANDS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 1:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.