Monument record MDR2503 - Medieval chapel (site of), Coton in the Elms
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to Tudor - 1200 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
In 1291 the church of Lullington is described as possessing a chapel, and this was undoubtedly situated at Coton in the Elms. The chapel seems to have been desecrated immediately after the Reformation and speedily pulled down. There was no chapel here in 1650. A terrier of 1678 says of Coton: 'There was formerly a chapel in the said town but it was demolished and the land where it stood alienated into several hands'. The site of the chapel was in the north-west corner of a field situated near the centre of the village, in an area known from time immemorial as "Chapel yard". In 1866 Mr Colvile investigated the site and discovered the foundations of the chapel, in the form of a plain parallelogram 56ft by 23ft. Four stones have been put down at the angles to mark the site. (1) Three corner stones and one inscribed central monumental stone were surveyed on September 28 1961 by the Ordnance Survey Field Inspector. (2) The site has been partly built on and only two stones survive; as published on the 25" map of 1963. (4) A large marker stone survives in the corner of the carpark for the Shoulder of Mutton Public House. (5) Five archaeological evaluation trenches were excavated in January 2011, two across walls illustrated on the 1st ed. OS map and the remaining three to try and locate possible burials associated with the chapel. However, no features relating either to the chapel or to associated burials were found. (6)
- <1> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 391-392.
- <2> SDR6283 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 28-SEP-61.
- <3> SDR6583 Personal Observation: F2 FRH 04-AUG-66.
- <4> SDR17505 Index: TPAT. 2155. 2155.
- <5> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 16.1, with photo.
- <6> SDR21090 Unpublished document: Taylor, K (ARS). 2011. An Archaeological Evaluation at the former Shoulder of Mutton public house, Coton-in-the-Elms, Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2441 1535 (20m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||COTON IN THE ELMS, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2020 10:30AM