Rosliston was originally a chapelry of Walton and is referred to in a taxation roll of 1291. In August 1818 application was made to repair the chapel, described as an ancient structure with the walls out of the perpendicular. It was also described as being far too small, at 35ft 8 ins long and 17 ft 8 ins wide, and had no chancel or place for a Communion table, one occasionally having to be placed in the aisle. As a result the church was largely rebuilt and the new building was opened on October 24 1819. However the new building is not much larger, at 37 ft 8 ins by 26 ft 10 ins, so 'the destruction seems to have been unnecessary … Both externally and internally the workmanship is of the meanest character, whilst dirt and neglect reign unmolested'. Fortunately the 14th century small west tower and octagonal spire, the upper part of which was rebuilt in 1802, were not pulled down in 1819. (1)
The remains of the chapel form the nucleus of church, which is still in regular use . (2)
An aisleless church was built in 1819, with very small unbuttressed west tower. (4)
A grade II* listed parish church with a 14th century steeple, which was restored in 1802. The nave and chancel were built in 1819. The church is built of ashlar with stone dressings and a plain plinth. It has a graduated slate roof with ridgeback copings on moulded kneelers; that to the eastern nave gable has a ridge cross; plus coved cornice. It comprises a small western steeple with nave plus south porch and lower chancel bay. The two stage tower has a massive low clasping buttress to the base, with central steps on the west side leading up to a small ogee-headed 14th century door. See list description for more details. (6)
A bell in St Mary's is of historical significance. Dating to 1789, the bell was made by G Hedderly of Nottingham. (7)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp. 514-515.
Personal Observation: F1 FDC 28-SEP-61.
Personal Observation: F2 FRH 04-AUG-66.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p. 311.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1159242.
Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2433 1681 (18m by 12m) (Centre)
ROSLISTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 3 2015 2:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.