(SK 21481790) Walton Hall (NAT). (1)
Walton Hall, a two-and-a-half-storeyed red brick house with top parapet, and a two-storeyed service wing to one side, built circa 1720. The house is divided into bays by giant pilasters and the garden side has a simple central doorway with segmental pediment and decayed wrought-iron balustrade. Grade II*. (2-3)
Hall and Parkland depicted. (4-5)
Walton Hall and attached stable range and garden wall. Small country house, early 18th century. Grade II* (6, 7)
Built for the Taylor family and later the home of the Disbrowe's. (8)
Warm, red-brick, early Georgian house surrounded by parkland. Three-storey house of seven bays with rounded pediment over what used to be the main entrance. It was built in 1723 by a member of the Taylor family, where four generations of the Taylor family, one of them, William, who presumably built the present house, being High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1726. The house passed through marriage to the Disbrowe family, with John Disbrowe (or Desborough, there are multiple variations of the name) being a leading figure in the Parlimentary army in 1651 during the Civil War. The house left the Disbrowe family in 1851 on the death of Sir Edward Cromwell Disbrowe at the Hague, where it was passed through marriage to the Wise family. A number of alterations have been made to the building, most notably the moving of the entrance to the opposite of the house, now facing the garden. The old study and dining room have also been converted into the kitchen, thus giving the new kitchen fine oak panelling. The library has a fireplace of white marble of a very different texture from the grey Hopton marble as seen in many Derbyshire homes further north. The oak staircase has an exact replica in a house at The Hague. It leads up to a landing running laterally acrsoos the house, with the main bedrooms, one converted into a fine panelled sitting room with another white marble fireplace, leading off. (9)
Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1986. DOE Listed Buildings, District of South Derbyshire, Derby, 12th December, 1986. p49-50.
Index: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1995. New National Forest Survey: 921489. 921489. p54-5.
Index: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1995. New National Forest Survey: 957575. 957575. p182.
Article in serial: Christian, R. 'Derbyshire homes, Walton Hall', Derbyshire Life and Countryside.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2147 1790 (43m by 68m) (Centre)
WALTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2015 12:21PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.