St Giles's Chapel at Caldwell is of pre-Norman origin. The chapel was completely renovated in 1843 and 1865, obliterating most of the early work. (1)
St Giles's Chapel consists of a Norman nave and lower chancel that are much renewed. (2)
St Giles's Church is a little Norman chapel that has been much renewed. It is built in the Early English style. The east window dates to 1913 by Burlison and Grylls. (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 21 NE PARISH OF CAULDWELL CHURCH LANE 3/6 (South Side) 19.1.67 CHURCH OF ST GILES II
Parish church. C12, extended and renovated 1843 and heavily restored 1865. Coursed and random rubble stone with stone dressings. Banded blue and red plain tile roof with stone coped gables, eastern gable surmounted by ridge cross and western gable surmounted by gabled C19 bellcote. This has cusped pointed bell arches flanked by stepped buttresses with attached shaft between, plus inset quatrefoils above. Simple plan with small nave, lower chancel, north vestry and south porch. West elevation has a pointed C19 2-light geometric tracery window and stepped angle buttresses to either corner. North elevation of nave has a small central blocked C12 door flanked by C19 lancets with trefoil tracery. To east is a small C12 semi-circular headed window and beyond is a C19 vestry with a similar C19 lancet to north side. Chancel has a small C12 window to north elevation and a C19 2-light pointed geometric tracery east window with continuous sill band below and flanking clasping stepped buttresses. South elevation of chancel has a pointed 2-light C19 window with cusped lights and central trefoil. To west, the nave has a stepped gableted buttress to east corner and two C19 lancets, similar to those on north elevation, to either side of off-centre gabled C19 porch, plus a C12 window between the porch and the eastern lancet. The porch has a double chamfered doorcase with carved head stops to the hoodmould, angle buttresses, small trefoil headed windows to either side and stone coped gable with ridge cross. All C19 openings have hoodmoulds and alternating red and yellow stone relieving arches over. Inner door is a much restored semi-circular headed C12 door. Interior has a wide moulded C19 chancel arch with soffit moulding on attached shafts. Chancel has a pointed moulded doorcase on north side into the vestry, which has carved head stops to the hoodmould. It also has C17 style panelling to sides, a carved alabaster reredos, metal altar railings and carved wooden rails across the chancel arch; all these are probably contemporary with the restoration. Nave is simple and has an arched braced roof, simple bench pews and a small stone font with octagonal bowl decorated with cable mouldings, set on a column. To west wall of nave there are three re-set alabaster memorial slabs to members of the Sanders family, each with incised acanthus leaf decoration to the edges, dated 1652, 1653 and 1616. Also on west wall is a white marble wall memorial to Joseph Clay who died 1839. North wall of the nave has three enamelled brass wall memorials, one to Sir Thomas Gresley of Cauldwell Hall who died 1868 and the other two to Laura Williams and Joan Gresley who died in 1900 and 1901 respectively. The chancel has a simple alabaster memorial of c1960 and a brass memorial to Sir Henry Des Vieux of Drakelow Hall of c1875. Stained glass, all C19 and C20, all C12 windows with bright Chartres style stained glass probably c1865. There are similar style stained glass roundels in west window. Chancel has late C19 figurative glass to east window and c1900 figurative glass to south window in memory of Frank Mulligan. East window on north side of nave has a commemorative stained glass window to Francis Meynell who died 1932 and central north nave window has a war memorial stained glass window of c1918.
Listing NGR: SK2540517198.'
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. p 482.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 118.
Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 47.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1334611.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 25405 17198 (point) (Centre)
CAULDWELL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2018 10:46PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.