The abbot of Merevale had a park in the parish of Rosliston still called Coton Park (though long enclosed). (1)
The Tithe map shows a continuous feature, now partly altered, which may be the park pale. It is followed for most of its length by the parish boundary. (2)
The indicated line (from tithe map) was perambulated; it is generally occupied by a modern hedge or ditch with little evidence of banking. The few stretches not used as modern linears show little of interest; a short section at SK 2736 1580 has a shallow, dry, ditch with fragments of inner bank (carrying trees) but is of very dubious antiquity. (3)
An examination of good quality aerial photographs revealed a cropmark boundary of medieval date or later seen as an interrupted single linear feature defined by 1 ditch, with a maximum length of 330m. This boundary is the same feature described by authorities 1-3, possibly a medieval park pale and later parish boundary. (4)
Article in serial: Nichols, J. 1804. History and Antiquities of Leicestershire. Volume 3 Part 2. p. 982.
Map: 1839. Rosliston Tithe Map and Apportionment.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 04-AUG-66.
Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 921511. 921511. p. 189.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 27 15 (222m by 89m) (2 map features)
ROSLISTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 17 2022 2:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.