A priory of Augustinian Canons was founded at Church Gresley in the reign of Stephen (1) or Henry I (2) and dissolved in 1536. The church of Gresley, appropriated at an early date to the priory, formed part of the monastic buildings, the nave being used by the parishioners and the choir or chancel by the Austin canons as the priory chapel [see SMR 26803 for the priory]. The chancel and priory buildings were demolished soon after the Dissolution. In 1786 the inhabitants of Church Gresley petitioned to rebuild their church, summarising that it was 'not fit for anybody to go into'. However, it was not rebuilt but, shortly after being sketched in 1816, was repaired after a deplorable fashion. The outer walls were almost completely rebuilt and poor debased windows and door inserted. The church then consisted of nave and north aisle. The church underwent restoration in 1872 when a new chancel was built on the site of the old one. (2)
Church in normal use. (4)
St. Mary and St. George's Church is a grade II* listed building. (5)
An archaeological watching brief was carried out by Tony Sumpter Archaeological Consultancy in 2009 during geotechnical works to investigate cracks in the church. The church was once part of a 12th century Austin priory, but was rebuilt in the 19th century apart from the tower, the north arcade and the lower nave walls. Three test pits showed that the north wall of the tower stairs and the south wall of the chancel stand on an insubstantial foundation which itself rests on made ground. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 367-376.
Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D & Hadcock, R. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. p 134.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 100.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 04-AUG-66.
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) South Derby District October 1981 5.
Unpublished document: Tony Sumpter Archaeological Consultancy. 2009. Church of St George and St Mary, Church Gresley, Swadlincote, Derbyshire: archaeological watching brief.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2932 1810 (30m by 24m) (Centred on)
SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2014 5:54PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.