Building record MDR2558 - All Saints' Church, Lullington

Type and Period (2)

  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1100 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Saxon to Medieval - 900 AD? to 1066 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Domesday Book makes entry of a priest, but not of a church, on the manor of Lullington. Cox takes this to indicate that the original Saxon church (probably of timber) had been destroyed soon after the Conquest. Soon afterwards the manor was in the hands of the Gresleys and a church was once again erected. The earliest known rector is William Gresley, in around 1200. In 1778 it was decided to rebuild the church on the same foundations, as far as the nave was concerned, but dispensing with the north and south aisles and putting a shallow apse in place of the chancel. The only entrance to the new church was a west doorway, an opening having been hewn through the basement of the tower for that purpose. The tower and spire are all that remain of the old church and they contain a good deal of new work. The parish registers say '1799, Church finished in this year'. The spire was restored in 1861 and shortly afterwards a south aisle and chancel were added. (1) All Saints Church, Lullington. Rebuilt in the 19th century except for the west tower (c. 1300) and the spire which was rebuilt in 1776. (2-3) The Rectoral Roll dates back to c. 1200 and there is a Norman front. (4) A grade II* listed parish church dating largely to the late 14th century. The spire was rebuilt in 1776, and the nave and chancel were heavily restored in 1861-2, when the south aisle was also added. The church is built of coursed squared stone with stone dressings, and has steeply-pitched plain tile roofs with diaper work and crested ridge tiles. It comprises nave with south aisle, lower chancel and large western tower. See list description for more details. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 387-392.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: E.C. Williams. 1950. Derbyshire. p125.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 176.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 FRH 04-AUG-66.
  • <5> Index: TPAT. 2500. 2500.
  • <6> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82954.



Grid reference Centred SK 2498 1294 (30m by 16m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR793

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Oct 7 2011 2:03PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.