Monument record MDR2570 - Timber Piles, Tutbury
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD to 1817 AD) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
Chris Salisbury observed from the Hatton side of the Dove that as the water level was low it was possible to see a number of timber piles. Discussion with the Derbyshire and Staffordshire archaeologists identified remains of two diamond-shaped 'starlings' or wooden bridge piers. The piles were recorded by C Salisbury and C Welsh in August 1996 and four piles were removed for dendrochronology dating. This did not work due to lack of rings but a Carbon 14 date is to be attempted. (1) A conventional radiocarbon age for sample TB4 (Pile 4) (riven oak - for felling date add c.35-40 years because of sap wood -"the old wood effect") of 210 BP +/-60 BP was obtained. Given a demolition date for the bridge of 1817, the 68% probability is that the calibrated date covers 1650 to 1800. This coincides with the period when the majority of repairs documented historically (3,4) were undertaken. Taken from a pile in the northern starling with two phases apparent. (2) In May 2001 it was noted that the river was slightly eroding its northern bank in the area of the former bridge and pier bases recorded in 1996. The two pier bases were found to still be visible within the river when viewed from the present bridge (5)
- <1> SDR4331 Personal Observation: Communicated by D Barrett, 13/11/96.
- <2> SDR18617 Unpublished document: C. Salisbury. 1997. Tutbury Bridge - Radiocarbon Date.
- <3> SDR18618 Bibliographic reference: Jevoise, E. 1932. The Ancient Bridges of Mid and Eastern England.
- <4> SDR18619 Bibliographic reference: Underhill, C. 1931. History of Tutbury. 127-8.
- <5> SDR19056 Unpublished document: Meek, J (ULAS). 2001. An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment of the proposed Flood Wall Replacement at Tutbury Bridge.
|Grid reference||SK 2143 2953 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 30 2016 4:02PM