Skip to main content

Monument record MDR2572 - The Buries, Willington Road, Repton

Type and Period (4)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Buries (Ancient Earthwork) [TI] is marked on the 6" OS map of 1955. (1) The Buries Field at Repton was 'most thoroughly investigated' under the direction of Gerald Simpson. Thirteen trenches in and out of the supposed Roman camp and through the mounds were cut without any trace that the site had been either in Roman or Danish occupation. A few pieces of pottery and a coin of the date of Charles I were among the finds, but nothing of any significance. (2) Excavations at the Buries in 1910 (by Simpson & Auden), revealed only pottery dating from the fifteenth to the seventeenth century, tiles and a coin of Charles II. There were no signs of permanent occupation and the earthwork was probably a refuge for cattle during flood-time. Investigation of the circular mounds [see plan] showed that they were not tumuli. A few sherds of Romano-British pottery have been found in the larger mound. (3) A rectangular earthwork comprising a bank and outer ditch, containing two mounds and the remains of three parallel rigs with furrows. The latter are co-incidental with the rig and furrow which surrounds the earthwork and thus gives it a later period of construction. The site is on a flood plain and was probably used as a beast refuge in time of flood. (4) No change. (5) Cropmarks/earthworks plotted on 1:10000 map. (6) Rectangular earthwork with a low bank and external ditch occupying a slightly raised, and hence relatively dry, portion of the Trent's floodplain. Regarded in the 19th century as being of probable Roman date, but later argued to be a possible medieval cattle-refuge during floods. An alternative interpretation is that it represents a constructed rabbit-warren, or conyger, of late medieval or early post-medieval date. The name 'buries' was apparently once applied to what are now called pillow-mounds. In addition, the earthworks include a group of mounds, some round and some elongated, within the rectangular enclosure. These appear to overlie ridge and furrow [also see SMR 24553]. (7) Identified as post-medieval stock enclosure earthworks and plotted on to a GIS overlay during an aerial photographic mapping survey. (8)

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
  • <2> Article in serial: Bowles, C E B. 1911. 'Editorial Notes: Excavations', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 33.
  • <3> Article in serial: Simpson, F G & Auden, G A. 1913. 'Excavation at The Buries, Repton', Archaeological Journal. Volume 70, pp 83-94, plan, illust..
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 BHS 13-APR-62.
  • <5> Personal Observation: F2 JB 25-JUL-66.
  • <6> Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
  • <7> Article in serial: Guilbert, G (TPAU). 2004. 'Borough Hill, Walton-upon-Trent - if not a hillfort, then what?', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 124, pp 242-257.
  • <8> Digital data: English Heritage. 2014. Staffordshire NMP Project: Derbyshire Overlap.



Grid reference Centred SK 29862 27811 (98m by 87m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (5)

  • EDR3
  • EDR4
  • EDR2
  • EDR1049
  • EDR1382

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 15 2016 4:44PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.