No mention is made of a church in Domesday Book. However, there must have been a church about this time, for William the Conqueror bestowed the town of Willington, together with its church, on the Abbey of Burton. The church was given to the adjacent priory of Repton in 1223; this grant was confirmed by Henry III in 1252. The church is dedicated to St Michael and consists of nave, chancel, north transept and small west tower. The small and singularly plain tower was built in 1824. Shortly afterwards a 'remarkably ugly' north transept was built. Earlier drawings show that the west wall of the nave had been supported by three massive buttresses and the bells were in a square turret on the west gable. There was a south porch with a square-headed doorway and a steep-pitched roof, and the south windows of the nave were square-headed and debased. There is now no porch and the south doorway is built up. This doorway is of Norman date, with a rounded moulding and having a tympanum partly carved in squares with intersecting lines. The arch between the nave and chancel was probably a plain Norman one originally but was re-cased in 1824. On each side of the chancel are two short lancet windows of Early English date, although the inner splay has been modernised. (1)
St Michael's Church, Willington has a Norman south doorway. The tower and north transept are of 1824. (2)
A grade II listed parish church dating to the 12th and 13th centuries, 1824 and the mid 19th century. It is built of random coursed and coursed squared sandstone. It has plain tile roofs and stone coped gables with plain kneelers. It comprises a west tower, nave, south porch, north transept, chancel and north vestry. The west tower is of 1824, and is partly engaged by the nave. There is also an early 20th century south porch, which is timber framed over a sandstone base. See list description for more details. (5)
St Michael's Church is built in the Early English style. The tower was built in 1824 at a cost of £80 and the north transept was added not much later. The south doorway is Norman and the Norman chancel arch survived until 1824. The south nave windows are of the 19th century. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. pp 435-438.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 243.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 24-JUN-66.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82799.
Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 186.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2948 2816 (23m by 17m) (Centre)
WILLINGTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 2 2014 12:36PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.