Apart from the mention of Newton Solney as one of the chapels of Repton in 1271 and 1279, no further reference to it can be found until 1552 when it was visited by the Church Goods Commissioners. The church is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and consists of nave and side aisles, chancel with north chapel, and tower surmounted by a spire at the west end. 'This picturesque little church contains an admixture of almost every style of architecture, the work of succeeding centuries being plainly written on its face'. The earliest work is 12th and 13th century work but the greater part is 14th century. (1)
A grade II* listed parish church dating to the 14th, 15th, and 18th centuries. Restoration work was carried out in 1880 by F J Robinson. It is built of coursed squared sandstone and ashlar, and has Welsh slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles. It comprises west tower, aisled nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry. The south aisle continues alongside part of the chancel. The west elevation has a two-light window of c. 1300 with Y-tracery, set in a deeply splayed surround. The south side of the tower is embraced by the aisle. The north side has re-set carved 12th century chevron decoration. Inside the church, there are three-bay 14th century arcades that have octagonal piers and semi-octagonal responds. Includes 13th and 14th century effigies. See list description for more details. (3)
St Mary the Virgin's Church is largely 14th century in date, with some Norman remnants, such as the doorway in the north wall of the tower. The roof was renewed in the 17th century and the church was rebuilt in 1880 by F J Robinson. (4)
The bells of St Mary's are of historical significance. One is dated to circa 1380 and made by an unknown founder from Leicester. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 450-4.
Personal Observation: F1 FDC 23-SEP-66.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82854.
Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 131.
Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2792 2577 (24m by 26m) (Centre)
NEWTON SOLNEY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 4 2019 2:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.