Monument record MDR2585 - Cropmark of ring ditch, Egginton Common
Type and Period (1)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- None recorded
The dry summer of 1959 accentuated crop-marks in the well-drained area of the Trent floodplan, and Dr St Joseph was able to obtain aerial photographs of a number of unsuspected sites. These included a cropmark of a ring ditch on Egginton Common, at approx. SK 284291. (1, 2) Under crop, no visual evidence on the ground. (3) Features likely either to have been scraped away or else have had waste dumped on them. <4>
- <1> SDR837 Aerial Photograph: St Joseph, J K. AP no. YU 54 in the Cambridge Collection of Aerial Photographs.
- <2> SDR17808 Article in serial: Hughes, R. 1961. 'Archaeological sites in the Trent Valley, South Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp149-150.
- <3> SDR6391 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR24214 Unpublished document: na (MOLA). 2015. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Etwall Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 283 291 (494m by 454m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||EGGINTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2020 4:02PM