Monument record MDR2587 - Monk's Bridge, Egginton
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
(SK 26852700) Monk's Bridge (NAT) (1) The existence of a bridge across the Dove at Egginton is documented in 1255, as 'pontem de Egentona super aquam de Dove'. The earliest reference to its present name is 1330, when it is 'pontem Monachorum' and in 1383 'le Munkbrugg'. In 1255 the bridge was in need of repair and a suit was held as to who was responsible for the costs. As a result, it was repaired by a prior of the Abbey of Burton by special licence from the abbot. (2) In 1255 the Annals of Burton record that "no-one was responsible" for the repair of the bridge of Egginton, so John de Stretton, a prior of Burton Abbey, rebuilt it at his own cost. H.A. Rye assumes this bridge to the present bridge (3), but it is unlikely because the wide segmental arch was not in use during that period. (4) In 1695 one arch was rebuilt and in 1775 the whole bridge was widened on the upstream side, although the downstream side is in its original condition. Grade 2*. (5) SK 269270. Monk's Bridge scheduled. (6) Monks Bridge. Alongside the canal aqueduct is the now-superseded medieval road bridge taking the line of the former main Derby-Burton road over the river. The four-arch bridge is basically sandstone but has been much patched up with a variety of materials. It is colloquially known as Monks Bridge because of its original associations with the monks of Burton Abbey. (7)
- <1> SDR11926 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1976. 1:10 000.
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p459-60.
- <3> SDR15347 Article in serial: Henry A Rye. Trans Burton-upon-Trent AS 4 History of Monk's Bridge.
- <4> SDR179 Bibliographic reference: Jervoise, E. 1932. The Ancient Bridges of Mid and Eastern England. 22-3.
- <5> SDR5256 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Repton RD Derby Oct 1960 12.
- <6> SDR5322 Bibliographic reference: DOE (IAM) AMs Eng 3 1978 28.
- <7> SDR19596 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2002. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VI: South Derbyshire. P.4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2684 2698 (64m by 33m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EGGINTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 12 2015 5:37PM