Monument record MDR2616 - Bupton deserted medieval village, Longford

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The lost village of Bupton, c. SK 220 370. Migrated? (1, 2) Bupton near Longford is a hamlet surrounded by rig and furrow, field banks and old water-courses; there is no surface evidence of desertion. Ploughing has destroyed the majority of field banks and roads visible on the aerial photographs. (3) 'Bupton' mentioned as Bubandune in Anglo Saxon Wills, c. 1002 and also in Domesday. (4) Earthwork of a suggested deserted medieval village identified by D. Farnsworth on an aerial photograph. (5, 6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M. 1954. Lost Villages of England. p. 346.
  • <2> Aerial Photograph: 1948. AP's (541/215/3103-5 15.12.48).
  • <3> Personal Observation: F1 FDC 09-AUG-76.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p. 581.
  • <5> Index: TPAT. 2618. 2618.
  • <6> Aerial Photograph: DCC Planning Dept AP 13/316.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 222 372 (235m by 203m) (Centre)
Civil Parish LONGFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR914

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 7 2015 12:14PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.