(SK 2150 3830) Cross (NAT). (1)
On the south side of Longford Church is the churchyard cross of which about four feet of the shaft still remains in the large base stone, which rests on three square steps. (2)
A restored churchyard cross consisting of an original base and shaft standing on 3 square steps and surmounted by a modern capital and extension of the shaft, the latter carrying a latin inscription noting the restoration in 1897. The steps measure 2.7m square oveall and total 0.7m high. The base stone is 0.6m high and 0;7m square. The original portion of shaft is 0.4m square at the base and 1.1m high. Resurveyed at 1:2500 on MSD. See SK 23 NW 1 for probable original cross head. (3)
A grade II listed cross dating to the 15th century, and restored in 1897. It is constructed of sandstone. It has a triple-stepped large square plinth, topped by tall square base with chamfered corners from half way up. Octagonal stone shaft over, of which top part replaced in 1897. Above, C19 Latin cross with seaweed type foliage ends and to east side a figure of a saint on a carved corbel, under a cusped ogee arch. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp. 194-5.
Personal Observation: F1 CDA 03-AUG-76.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No:.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 214 383 (point) (Centre)
LONGFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 7 2015 2:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.