Building record MDR2618 - St Chad's Church, Longford Park, Longford

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

St. Chad's Church, Longford has some pillars dating from c.1100 but the outer walls were rebuilt in the first quarter of the fourteenth century and the tower is fifteenth century. (1) In normal use [1966]. (2) A Parish Church dating to the 12th, early 14th, 15th and 16th centuries, with various minor restorations throughout the 19th century. It is built of sandstone, with rubble to the north aisles, and ashlar elsewhere. It has a green slate nave roof, with grey slate elsewhere, and stone coped gables and an eastern ridge cross to the nave. It has a deep plinth with moulded copings to the tower and chancel, a continuous moulded sill band to the chancel, and embattled parapets with ridgeback copings to the nave and tower. The church comprises a two stage western tower, a clerestoried nave with north and south aisles and a lower chancel. The tower is 15th century in date and has almost full height stepped angle buttresses to all corners. Inside the church, the four-bay north arcade has three late 12th century bays to the west and an early 14th century one to the east. The four-bay south arcade has 12th century columns, but was altered c. 1300. The chancel arch is of a similar date and style, whilst the tower arch is 15th century, and tall with a moulded pointed arch and moulded capitals. Chancel and nave roofs are both 19th century, that to nave in a 16th century style. To the south side of the chancel is a cusped pointed c. 1300 piscina. There is a similar 19th century piscina to the north side of the chancel. The choir stalls are mostly 19th century, but with re-used medieval poppy heads. The nave stalls are 19th century and plain, as is the pulpit. The font is also 19th century, but possibly with a re-used bowl. There is stained glass only in the north and south chancel windows, where there are small medieval coats of arms in roundels. There is a fine collection of tombs and memorials, mainly to the Longford and Coke families of Longford Hall. The oldest monument appears to be a 13th century gravestone with an elaborate carved cross. See list description for more details. (3) The bells of St Chad's are of historical significance. Dated to 1721, they are an example of Im Halton of Wingfield, a rare founder. (5) St Chad Church stands in the grounds of Longford Hall. The oldest part is Norman, though there have been many subsequent alterations. The piers are orginal Norman. There are some interesting alabaster monuments laid in the corner of the church. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. p 190.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 JB 26-AUG-66.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 81264.
  • <4> Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2562. 2562.
  • <5> Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
  • <6> Article in serial: Derbyshire Life and Countryside. 1962. 'Country Churches, a Derbyshire symposium', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. June/July.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2148 3832 (37m by 22m) (Centre)
Civil Parish LONGFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1404

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 4 2015 12:17PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.