(SK 21503840) Longford Hall (NR) Longford Hall, of brick with stone dressings, burnt out in 1942 and partially reconstructed. The main façade on the south is evidently Tudor, remodelled in about 1720. The east front has two far-projecting wings and a recessed one-storeyed range to connect them. The former courtyard behind is now partly demolished and the main entrance has been moved from the cross-wing to the rear of the main front. Grade 2* Longford Hall was until the fire of 1942 a three storeyed building but was subsequently rebuilt as a two-storeyed house. There is much modern brickwork and the house is not outstanding. See ground photograph. (1-4)
Grade II* listed building: Longford Hall and attached garden wall (formerly listed as 'The Hall'). Built in the late C16 for the de Longford family, and altered in early C18 by the Coke family, who had inherited in c1620. The house was burnt out in 1942 and restored from c1960 onwards. (5)
The present house was probably built by Sir Nicholas Longford early in the 16th century. It consisted of two courtyards, two parallel ranges facing north and south being connected by a shorter range to the west and a cross range about two thirds of the distance towards the east, leaving the entrance court open. It was described in 1713 as 'A very large ancient seat … which (Sir Edwin Coke) has very much improved, particularly by gardens and water courses'. In 1761 Joseph Pickford was engaged to turn the old early Tudor house into a convenient modern Georgian seat at minimal expense. He also built a stable block north of the house. The house was again improved in c. 1837 by Thomas William Coke, work which lasted until 1842 and included the demolition of the tower and great hall and the addition of a brick conservatory to the west end of the long south front. In 1942 the house suffered a serious fire and was abandoned for a time before the north range was almost entirely demolished and the rest rehabilitated. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p268.
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Ashbourne RD Aug 1961 31.
Personal Observation: F1 CDA 03-AUG-76.
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of West Derbys July 1985 15-19.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. pp 132-143, illust..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 215 384 (point) (Centre)
LONGFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2018 3:38PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.