Skip to main content

Monument record MDR2624 - Earthworks west and north-west of Longford Hall

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

SK 213384 : Longford accepted as a deserted medieval village. (1) Longford was mentioned in 1197 and at an early period the manor belonged to the Longford family, until Sir Nicholas Longford, the last male heir, died in 1610. (2) No indication of desertion is visible on OS air photographs at Authority 1's siting, which falls in the area of Longford Hall. The Hall is about half a mile north of the present village of Longford centred at SK 217375. (4) One of the fields to the north-west of Longford Hall is named as Brick Kiln Meadow in the Tithe Schedule of 1840, which may indicate an alternative interpretation of earthworks seen on an aerial photograph of 1971. (5, 6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Article in serial: Md Vill Res Gp Report 24 1976.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p581.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. pp 199-200.
  • <4> Aerial Photograph: APs (OS 75/171, 022-023).
  • <5> Map: 1840. Longford Tithe Map and Schedule (Derbyshire Record Office, ref no. D804A/PI 48a, b).
  • <6> Aerial Photograph: 1971. Fairey Surveys 1:12000. AP 13_316.



Grid reference Centred SK 212 384 (260m by 271m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 8 2011 5:06PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.