Church of St Michael, Church Lane, Kirk Langley, originally a 14th century building.
'The church at Kirk Langley, which is dedicated to St Michael, consists of nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and tower at the west end. The greater part of the church is of the Decorated style, circa 1300-20, when the church was evidently rebuilt throughout, although there are traces of Early English work in the north aisle. The general character of the tower is Decorated but the battlements are probably later. Up to 1839, the chief entrance was on the north side of the church, where there was a porch, and there is now a window in its place (1879). There is another former doorway near the east end of the chancel. The use of this doorway is not known, but Cox suggests that there may have been a small vestry here at one time. The chancel still retains, externally, its high pitch, but the walls above the nave arcades were raised in the 15th century.' (1)
'St Michael's Church is an ancient edifice of stone that was built chiefly in the Decorated style. It appears to have been rebuilt on the site of an older church in the early part of the 14th century. The fabric was considerably damaged by a storm in 1545, when a portion of it was blown down, and the lead was stripped off the roof. The vestry was built, according to an inscription, by Godfrey Meynell in 1824. Certain structural alterations and repairs were effected in 1840; the south aisle was re-roofed, a gallery was built, and the whole church was re-pewed. A thorough restoration was carried out in the late 19th century. The old pews, which stood with their backs to the chancel, have since been superseded by chairs.' (2)
This church has an early 14th century chancel and north aisle. The west tower is Perpendicular. It has been suggested that the church is mentioned in IPM of 1272, Robert Fitznicholas and 1291 taxation roll. (3)
The 'squint' in the north aisle looks into the side chapel. (4)
The bell frame in St Michael's Church is of historical significance. Dated to 1679, it is an early example of the work of Wm Noone of Nottingham. (5)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 23 NE 5/70
PARISH OF KIRK LANGLEY CHURCH LANE (south side) Church of St Michael
GV I Parish church. Early C14, late C14, C16, restoration 1839 and 1885 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed squared sandstone, sandstone ashlar, with sandstone dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs, stone coped gables. West tower, aisled nave, south vestry and chancel.
West tower of two stages divided by a chamfered string course. Angle buttresses linked to the battlemented parapet by pilaster strips. Chamfered plinth. South side has a single lancet with triangular head, to the west side a C19 doorway and a two-light Decorated window above with cusped ogee lights and hoodmould with head stops. The north side has a small lancet as on the south side and a clock face below. Two-light bell openings, early C14, with a transom, on all four sides.
The north aisle has a C19 lancet in the west wall. Diagonal buttresses. On the north side are five windows with Y-tracery, the second from the west is C19, replacing a doorway visible from within. A buttress after the third window. Clerestory of three plain two-light chamfered mullion windows under flat heads. Aedicule wall tablet with fluted half columns, to George Hodgkinson, died 1804. Three-light east window with bar tracery. The north side of the chancel has a C19 window with Y-tracery, a buttress, a window with Y-tracery, priest's doorway with roll moulding and hoodmould, a C19 lancet and a blocked doorway with a slate headstone set in. C19 east window of four-lights with bar tracery. Blind quatrefoil above.
The south side of the chancel has three windows with Y-tracery, the outer ones larger and C19. South aisle east window of three Tudor-arched lights with a transom and the remains of a hoodmould with headstops relating to an earlier window. The south side has a two-light window with a reticulation unit, and beyond the vestry two more, probably C19, windows with Y-tracery. The west window of two Tudor arched lights within a square hood. Gabled vestry in battlemented Tudor style, according to a faculty, built in 1889. Cusped three-light window to south under a Tudor arch. Two-light window to east and a doorway to west. Octagonal chimney stack at the south east corner. The vestry and south aisle have diagonal buttresses. Clerestory as on the north side.
INTERIOR: three bay arcades with octagonal piers and abaci, and double chamfered arches. Double-chamfered tower arch, the inner order on corbels. Double-chamfered chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. In the chancel, triple sedilia and piscina. C19 aumbry. Carved alabaster reredos with angels under crocketed gables. Squints on either side from the aisles.
MONUMENTS: Godfrey Meynell (chancel north) died 1854, A Gothic aedicule. Plain C17 and C18 inscribed tablets built into the north wall and one free-standing on the south side. One has a brass plate dated 1705. In the north chapel an incised slab to Alice Beresford, died 1511. In the south aisle, a tomb chest to Henry Role and wife, died 1559. Tablet to Charles Wilmot, died 1724, with scrolled pediment. Various C19 tablets, some signed by Hall of Derby.
C19 parclose screen in south aisle, also in north aisle, incorporating medieval work. Rood screen by Bodley & Garner. Brass eagle of c1884. Plain octagonal font on a C19 base. C17 font cover. Choir stalls and organ case probably by Bodley & Garner. C18 communion rail. Flemish stained glass dated 1631, in the south aisle east window. Possibly C14 tower screen with simple geometrical tracery, moved from the chancel.
Listing NGR: SK2864538851.'