The manor of Meynell Langley was in the possession of the Meynells from Henry I's time, 1108. (1) The earliest documentary evidence for Meynell Langley is in 1273, when it is written as 'Longeleg' Meynill'. (2)
During fieldwalking in the parish of Kirk Langley, medieval pottery spanning the late 12th to 17th centuries, was found in the ploughed fields to the north and south of Flagshaw Lane [see SMR 22105] This pottery represents the shrunken area of the medieval village of Meynell Langley. In 1086 the village in the parish is referred to as Langley and it is not until 1269 that the village with the church is first distinguished as Kirk Langley, probably representing the village mentioned in Domesday. Meynell Langley, named after the Meynell family, is first recorded in 1273, suggesting that this village was a later, probably 12th century creation, when the population of the older village had outgrown its resources. The village of Meynell Langley was located on the boulder clay capping of a sandstone ridge. In 1327 there were six taxpayers compared with seven in Kirk Langley, although the taxable amount was only half that of the latter. By 1640, an estate map (4) shows that the village north of Flagshaw Lane had disappeared except for one house near the site of the present Hall Farm. From at least 1555 the area to the north of the lane was known as Meynell Langley Park. The park may have accounted for this shrinkage, but equally a 14th century decrease in the population may have encouraged the formation of a park. To the south of Flagshaw Lane, the only buildings shown by the 1640 map are at the site of Langley Hall, suggesting that the shrinkage was virtually complete by the mid-17th century. (3)
Article in serial: Meynell, G. 1887. 'Notes on the manors of Kirk Langley and Meynell Langley', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 9, pp 45-54.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p476.
Article in serial: Cowell, R. 1981. 'Kirk Langley, Mackworth and Horsley : aspects of medieval settlement', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 101, pp 93-101. pp 96-97, Fig. 4.
Map: Senior, W. 1640. 'Mennell Langley belonging to the right honorable William Earle of Newcastle'.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 287 396 (473m by 308m) (Centre)
KIRK LANGLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 11 2017 4:09PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.