Skip to main content

Monument record MDR2645 - Watermill (site of), Maynell Langley, Kirk Langley

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

SK 298389. The site of a water mill is located in a small covert to the south of Flagshaw Brook. To the north of the brook a large east-west bank delimits the mill pond across the floor of which lies ridge and furrow. A mill is first recorded in an inquisition of 1237 and the mill is shown on an estate map of 1640. All the surrounding closes are also marked with 'milne' field names. In the 14th century Flagshaw Brook was probably known as 'Milnebrok'. (1-3) The large east-west bank is more likely to represent part of the former deer park boundary rather than being associated with the mill pond. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists. 1979-1982. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1979-1982. Volume 13. p 29.
  • <2> Index: TPAT. 2435. 2435.
  • <3> Map: Senior, W. 1640. 'Mennell Langley belonging to the right honorable William Earle of Newcastle'.
  • <4> Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..



Grid reference Centred SK 297 389 (123m by 63m) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 14 2017 2:21PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.