Building record MDR2661 - Barton Hall and moat, Barton Lane, Barton Blount

Type and Period (3)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

SK 2083 3464. Barton Hall [G.T.] Moat [G.T.] (site of). (1) Barton Hall is 15th century in origin and originally a moated semi-fortified manor house. The 15th century red brick gatehouse has early 19th century ashlar facing and battlements. The front to the former office court is probably late 17th/early 18th century red brick with some 15th century brickwork. Garrisoned in the Civil War. Grade II. (2) The rear (north west face) is the only part which is brick faced the remainder being faced with stone parts of which are 20th century. Small areas of 15th century. Brickwork are visible at the north and west angles. See G.P.'s AO/66/171/2 & 3. The published site of the moat, the north wrest arm, has been landscaped, and the head gardener indicated the site of the south west arm which he filled in the 1930's at approximately. SK 2078 3462. (3) The remnants of the moat have been altered and landscaped to such an extent that the original form is not now discernible and it should be considered as a site only. (4) Barton Hall is a grade II* listed small country house dating to the 15th century, early 18th century, c. 1800, early 19th century and 1925. The c. 1800 work was possibly by Thomas Gardner of Uttoxeter. It is built of red brick and sandstone ashlar, and has plain tile hipped roofs and seven brick stacks. It is of two storeys and garrets. The gate house in the north-east corner has 15th century origins but was refaced in stone in the early 19th century, possibly in 1824 or 1829 (dates on the hopper heads). The brick north elevation has stone quoins and a coped parapet, and is early 18th century and c. 1925 in date. This is probably the remains of an early 18th century H-plan house, with an additional bay to the left. The whole fa├žade has at some time been heightened. The main part of the house is c. 1800, possibly by Thomas Gardner. It has five symmetrical bays, the centre bay being advanced and pedimented. Three bays of plainer mid-late 18th century are set back to the left, but still with a heavy cornice. Some garden features are also listed. See list description for more details. (5) Barton Hall has had a long list of owners, rather than staying in the possession of one family, and trying to explain and understand the history of the site is difficult as all records of the hall were apparently destroyed during the Civil War. It stands on what at one time was the village of Barton Blount. At the time of Domesday, Barton was held by one Ralph under Henry de Ferrers and had a priest, church and two mills. In 1789 there were only five houses in Barton Blount including the hall, though this increased to 11 by 1851. The rectory and various outbuildings were destroyed in the Civil War, but the bulk of the village had gone by then. An agrarian revolution probably took place under the Blounts, who were at Barton from 1381 to 1560. The first mansion on site may have been built by the Bakepuze family, who displace Ralph as tenants of the Ferrers. Twin turrets guard the main entrance to the housemaid originally a drawbridge between the towers could be lowered over the moat that surrounded the house, and this was retained by the Blount's successors, the Merrys and the Simpsons, who otherwise made extensive alterations. John Merry was recorded to have bought Barton Blount and move to Derbyshire from London in 1560 in order to, as a Roman Catholic, worship in his own way with less interference from the authorities. Henry Merry owned the house when the Civil War broke out and was a Royalist captain fighting at Tutbury. The house was apparently burned during this time and the red-brick front on the hall probably dates from the resulting restoration; this may have been incomplete at the time of John Merry's death in 1676 when everything passed to the Simpsons. It was certainly Henry Simpson who pulled down the tithe barn and remains of the parish church in order to construct stables and out buildings. In 1710 Merry Simpson rebuilt the church that was subsequently restored in 1854, and some remains of the pre-Civil War church have been retained today (1964) in the current building. Multiple alterations and the construction of a rock garden were made in 1925 by Captain and Mrs Mallender; between their occupation and the Merrys, there had been numerous other owners of the hall. (8)

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Ministry of Housing and Local Government (MHLG). 1960. 2320/11/A, October, 1960.
  • <3> Personal Observation: F1 BHS 03-AUG-66.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F2 JRL 16-AUG-76.
  • <5> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1096544.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Drage, C. 1982. Moated sites list.
  • <7> Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2210. 2210.
  • <8> Article in serial: Christian, R. 1964. 'Barton Blount Hall', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. March.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2082 3466 (37m by 35m) (Centre)
Civil Parish BARTON BLOUNT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR765
  • EDR1130

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 1 2016 4:13PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.