Barton Fields forge, at work in the first half of the 18th century, seems to have been at Barton Blount. Barton forge is mentioned in 1696. (1)
Forge Meadow occurs in a 19th century Terrier. (2)
'Jennens Forge'. In 1669 Humphrey Jennens rented 'Parson's Meadow' and in 1672 built a forge. In this year the forge was leased to Henry Jennens Barton for 11 years, and was subsequently renewed for 7 years in 1696. (3)
From information given by Mr R A Mallender of Barton Hall, the forge was located in the field centred on SK 2214 3412 known locally as Black Soot Field. Mr Mallender stated that when fallow in winter this field has noticeably darker soil than the surrounding land. The field was under stubble at the time of perambulation. It slopes very gently from south-west to north-east and is in close proximity to the present course of Sutton Brook. A large quantity of debris litters the surface in an area centred on SK 2217 3417 with a radius of about 25m. The finds include bricks, tiles, clinker, iron waste, charred wood and a piece of 16th century glazed pottery, but there is no trace of any foundations. The soil was noticeably darker than the surrounding land. Finds similar to those above were scattered outside this area, probably as a result of regular ploughing. A spread containing an unusually high proportion of pebbles occupies the east corner of the field centred on SK 2223 3412. There is no visible evidence of damming or diversion of Sutton Brook with the possible exception of an old watercourse between the road and the stream at SK 2228 3412. (4)
A forge at Barton Fields, in the parish of Barton Blount, is included in all three lists of forges printed by Hulme. In the B&W list of 1787 it was said to be 'Down' and does not appear in the list of 1794. The site appears on Burdett's map as 'Barton Forge' to the south of Barton Fields and east of Church Broughton. The parallel courses of Sutton Brook and a mill-race are shown by both Burdett and the modern OS map. Woolley (p. 112) mentions 'a forge on the brook that runs through the fields' and says that Barton Fields is mostly owned by the Pole family of Radbourne. None of the 18th century lists gives any clue to ownership or the names of tenants. (5)
Article in serial: Jenkins, R. 1933-34. 'Historical notes on some Derbyshire industries', Transactions of the Newcomen Society. pp 163-177. p. 166.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p. 524.
Unpublished document: Rev A Auden. Hist of Barton Hall Barton Blount.
Personal Observation: F1 CDA 04-AUG-76.
Unpublished document: Riden, P. 1982. The Charcoal Iron Industry in the East Midlands - A Gazetteer of Sites.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2213 3410 (242m by 227m) (Centre)
BARTON BLOUNT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 1 2016 4:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.