Monument record MDR2672 - Cropmark features 500m west of Hoonhay, Hoon/Marston on Dove
Type and Period (4)
- RING DITCH ? (Unknown date)
- SQUARE ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- None recorded
SK 229301 Hoon Hay, Cropmarks. Two ring ditches and a rectangular cropmark with a series of parallel lines identified on an aerial photograph. A two foot high bank was also recorded. H Usher has field walked the site. He interprets it as a Roman villa, but notes the absence of tegulae and tesserae. C Drage suggests it might either be a Romano-British native settlement or possibly connected with the alleged deserted settlement [SMR 20905] 500m to the west. Three rims and two body sherds of medieval pottery were collected, and numerous river pebbles were noted. (1, 2) Cropmarks plotted on map overlay at a scale of 1:10,000. (3) A walkover survey has been made of the route of a proposed pipeline, which will be in the vicinity of the cropmarks. An aerial photograph in the Cambridge University Collection (BTK 80-81, taken June 30 1975) revealed evidence of linear features, a square enclosure and a possible ring-ditch. (4) Three cropmark features identified as part of the New National Forest Project and mapped using good quality aerial photographs: A) A rectangular enclosure of possible prehistoric date, 65m by 30m, defined by a ditch. Internal and/or attached features are present, with fragments of external ditches possibly indicating the presence of an annexe. Centred at SK 2284 2997 (Morph No. FR. 98.10.1) B) A square enclosure of unknown date, 10m by 10m, defined by a ditch. Centred at:- SK 2291 2996 (Morph No. FR. 98.9.1). C) Possible cropmark boundaries of unknown date seen as discontinuous linear features in a disordered pattern each defined by a ditch, with a maximum length of 25m. Centred at SK 2290 2993 (Morph No. FR. 98.11.1). (5)
- <1> SDR15707 Index: TPAT. 2609. 2609.
- <2> SDR13074 Aerial Photograph: Pickering J. NMR 1781/30 32.
- <3> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <3> SDR15893 Unpublished document: Usher, H. Letter (pre 1983) in Trent and Peak Archaeology parish file (?).
- <4> SDR19013 Unpublished document: Woodhouse, G & Guilbert, G. 1993. An Archaeological Assessment of Severn Trent Water's Foston, Hatton, Hilton and Rolleston Closures Scheme.. p 8.
- <5> SDR17361 Index: RCHME Boutwood, Y.. 1993. National Forest Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 229 299 (478m by 376m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HOON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||MARSTON ON DOVE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 4:52PM