Monument record MDR2682 - Possible deserted medieval village, Ash

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A possible lost village site at Ash is listed at SK 262326 . (1) Ash was mentioned as AEsce in 987, and the manor of "Eisse" with seven villeins, was held by Robert, under Henry de Ferrars, at the time of Domesday. Other reference dates include c.1141, 1296 and 1328. (2-4) See SMR 16402 for shrunken village at Ash

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M. 1954. Lost Villages of England. p346.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p 273.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: VCH Derby. 1, 1905, 340..
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M & Hurst, J. 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. p185.
  • <5> Index: TPAT. 2343. 2343.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 262 326 (point) (Centre)
Civil Parish ASH, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1457

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 7 2010 9:39AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.