Monument record MDR2687 - Moated manor house site, Bearwardcote
Type and Period (2)
- MANOR HOUSE (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD to 1790 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The old hall, Bearwardcote, was taken down in 1790 but traces of the moat and bridge still remain. (1) In the Anglo-Saxon period bears were first kept for the purposes of diversion or baiting. The officer in charge was called the "bearward"; hence Bearwardcote points out his place of residence. (2) The moat is now almost dry, published survey 1/2500 revised. The bridge is of stone with two arches but is disintegrating at the north face. Building debris is visible on the island. (3) Single moated site, approximately rectangular with entrance facing east. Length = 75m; width = 50m. (5) Traces of the moat and bridge were still visible in 1895. In 1966 the OS noted the moat as being almost dry, the bridge was of stone with 2 arches but the north face was disintegrating. Building debris was visible on the island. Bearwardcote Old Hall, in a note of sale of 1658, was stated to be 'a good house moted round with a bridge of stone' - still extant - 'and gatehouse to passe to the house, two orchards a fair garden and a little stable all lying within the mote. A dour (sic) house stable and two barns without the mote.' Demolished 1790 by Exuperius Turner. (7) The house that preceded the present Bearwardcote Hall was pulled down in 1790 by Robert Newton, who acquired the estate in that year from Exuperius Turner. It had stood within a moat, still largely traceable 850ft south-east of the present house, measuring 225ft x 180ft (75m x 50m), in which one of the Turners was reputed to have kept a bear. Abutments of a bridge remain. The house seems to have been L-shaped, with a double east-west range, of two storeys, and contained much stained glass. It was sold to William Turner of Derby late in the 17th century by Ralph Bonnington, whose family paid tax on 4 hearths in 1664. This family had acquired it from John Cokayne of Hatley, Beds, in c. 1408, the latter having inherited it from a junior branch of Bakepuize of Barton. The earliest holders of the estate were the Chambreis family, recorded as in possession in c. 1100. (8) Bearwardcote was a manor with a notably limited territorial base but enabled to function as a result of it being held jointly with the neighbouring manor of Burnaston, possibly with connections pre-dating to Domesday survey. During the medieval period, the course of the Marsh Brook was manipulated and adapted for a moat. (9)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p747.
- <2> SDR4437 Article in serial: Cox, J C. 1882. 'Place and field names of Derbyshire, which indicate the fauna', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 4, pp 57-75. p 65.
- <3> SDR6136 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 28-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR9064 Bibliographic reference: Usher, H. 1983. Moated Sites Research Group 10. p13-14.
- <5> SDR15537 Index: TPAT. 2214. 2214.
- <6> SDR16548 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', The Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p 384. p388.
- <7> SDR4294 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Drage, C. 1982. Moated sites list.
- <8> SDR18913 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 17.
- <9> SDR22380 Article in serial: Craven, M & Dalton, R. 2012. 'The south Derbyshire Manor of Bearwardcote and its moated hall', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 132, pages 177-187.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2829 3336 (117m by 147m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BEARWARDCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 14 2015 4:43PM