Monument record MDR2718 - Atlowmoat Mill (site of), Atlowmoat Farm, Atlow
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
A mill is shown on the southern side of Henmore Brook on the 1836 Ordnance Survey map, about one mile downstream from Atlow Mill. Little is known of this mill and on the site itself a 5ft high weir on the brook remains intact and traces of the leat leading to the mill site can be found. Only the outline of the mill building itself can be recognised. The millers who worked at this mill are not clear, but are believed to be T Coxon in 1876 and Mary Coxon (?his wife) in 1895. It is not known when the mill stopped working. (1) The mill may have relatively early origins, possibly associated with the nearby moated hall. The field in which it stands is shown as 'Millne Hill' on a map of 1676. (2) A mill is recorded for Atlow in 1226 and this may have been sited approximately 100m downstream from the moated site. (4) Ordnance Survey map evidence suggests that the mill may have gone out of use by the end of the 19th century. The 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows the site as 'Atlowmoat Mill (Corn)', with a head race (shown on the map as 'Mill Lade') of approximately 230m leaving the brook at a weir to the east of Atlow Moat and running in a south-westerly direction to a number of buildings standing close to the brook. (5). However, the 2nd edition of 1900 names the buildings as 'Atlowmoat Mill Farm' and depicts the former mill race as an earthwork. (6) Deeds from the 12th century indicate that the Atlow moated manor house [SMR 702] was probably created at that time by Lord Hugh de Okeover. A mill at Atlow was first mentioned in 1226, and was situated about 100 yards downstream from the manor house on the south bank in a field called Mulnecliff. The corn mill was also mentioned in 13th and 14th century deeds. By 1833, there are records of two corn mills in the Atlow area; the oldest mill being known as Atlowmoat, dating from the 12th century; and a separate, newer mill, constructed at a later date upstream, known as Atlow Mill [SMR 707]. (7)
- <1> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. p. 61.
- <2> SDR19225 Map: 1676. Survey of the demesne of Mott Hall.
- <3> SDR10180 Index: NDAT. 3129. 3129.
- <4> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. pp 148-50, Fig. 10:14.
- <5> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXVIII.16.
- <6> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXVIII.16, 1900.
- <7> SDR22192 Unpublished document: Blake, S & Chesterton, L. 2014. Heritage Statement: Stables at Atlow Mill, Mill Lane, Hognaston.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2262 4838 (216m by 164m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ATLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2015 3:11PM