Monument record MDR2721 - Fishponds, east of Hulland Old Hall moated site, Hulland

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to Victorian - 1250 AD? to 1899 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A little over 200 yards to the east of the moated site of Hulland Old Hall are two large medieval fishponds fed by the adjacent small stream, called Hulland Hollow Brook. (1) The remains of two large fishponds are located east of the Hulland Old Hall moated site. The ponds probably date to the 19th century. (2) A series of fishponds are recorded at Lower Hough Park with brick and stone sluices and associated feeders. The central islands are landscaped with trees, none of which are over 100 years old. (3) To the east of the moated site [SMR 8401], and now situated in woodland, is a group of two small and two large fishponds linked by sluices. They were created by damming the original course of Hulland Hollow Brook and diverting the stream to the north. The sluices and a weir to the west were all rebuilt in the Victorian era but are nonetheless believed to retain much of their earlier, perhaps medieval, structure. (4) In September 2005 trial trenches were excavated across the Hough Park silt pond, the most westerly of a string of three ponds situated in the bottom of a small valley through which the Hulland Hollow Brook flows from west to east. Located immediately to the south of the silt pond is a further smaller pond, while to the west of the pond complex is the Hulland Old Hall moated site. The silt pond has entirely silted up; the fish pond to the east has almost entirely silted up and the easternmost fish pond has started to silt up. The silt pond and the two fish ponds are believed to be medieval in date. A system of earthworks to the west and east of the ponds may also date to the medieval period and there is the possibility that a medieval water mill may have been situated to either the west or the east of the ponds. The silt pond and fish ponds were utilised and re-modelled in the Victorian period to form the centrepiece to a 'wilderness' pleasure park created by the then owners of Hulland Manor. During the trial trenching, no deposits or structures dating to the medieval period were recorded and it was concluded that the present form of the silt pond is largely a result of Victorian re-modelling. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', in The Victoria County History of Derbyshire, Volume 1. pp 357-396. p 389 & plan on p 390.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 FRH 05-AUG-66.
  • <3> Index: NDAT. 1376. 1376. incl. sketch.
  • <4> Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1992. Scheduling Notification: Hulland Old Hall moat, enclosure, chapel site & four fishponds. 13290.
  • <5> Unpublished document: Connelly, P & Higgins, M (UMAU). 2006. Hough Park Farm Silt Pond, Hough Park, Hulland, Derbyshire. An Archaeological Evaluation of a 19th Century Gentrified Landscape.. HER Doc. No. 1391.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2429 4631 (257m by 59m) (Approximate)
Civil Parish HULLAND, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2902

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 24 2013 2:14PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.