Monument record MDR2723 - Bradley Park bowl barrow (remains of), Brunt Wood, Bradley
Type and Period (3)
- URN (collared urn, Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- CREMATION (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- BOWL BARROW (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
A barrow at Brunt Wood [?Brunswood], in a field west of 'Old Park' was opened in November 1861 by C S Greaves. The excavation produced an urn containing a primary cremation and an unburnt bronze dagger. Wood ash in the mound suggested an in situ cremation. A high ridge in Burns Wood (sited from the Tithe Map) seems the most likely barrow site. There was no site evidence recorded for the barrow [in 1966]. Greaves gave the topographical description that the land fell away from the barrow except to the east, and there was a brook and boggy ground to the west and south. (1, 2, 3, 4) Suggested location is at SK 2403 4456. This low mound has been extensively ploughed and may be much reduced. It is oval, the long diameter in the direction of ploughing. It is 0.3m high upslope and 0.7 downslope. Greaves described the mound as regularly layered with soil and pebbles which is a good indication that it is a turf stack. His description of the location and size is somewhat problematic in that, if taken literally, it does not fit exactly with this site. However, discrepancies in barrow size may be explained by extensive subsequent ploughing while the topographic detail fits well if it is postulated Greaves mistakenly thought the high land to the north was to the east. (5) A sub-circular earthen mound measuring 23.5m by 18m and standing c.0.5m high was scheduled in 1994. Ploughing has spread the barrow along its east-west axis. Partial excavation in 1860 by Greaves found a cremation burial on the land surface under the barrow accompanied by a collared urn and a bronze knife. (6)
- <1> SDR12285 Index: OS. SK 24 NW 8. SK 24 NW 8.
- <2> SDR4901 Article in serial: Greaves, C S. 1861. 'Notes within the Proceedings for December 7 1860', Archaeological Journal. Vol. 18, pp 69-70. pp 69-70.
- <3> SDR6338 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-AUG-66.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 22.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 16:1.
- <6> SDR18505 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1994. Scheduling Notification: Bradley Park Bowl Barrow. 23270. Cat. No.: 339.
- <7> SDR2053 Artifact: British Museum, 1862. 4-24 1.2..
- <8> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0377, 2794.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2402 4458 (40m by 33m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRADLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 8 2011 4:43PM