Find Spot record MDR2737 - Three cinerary uns, south of Carsington Water, Kirk Ireton
Type and Period (2)
- CINERARY URN (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
- CREMATION (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 25054973 Sited from plan] During gravel working in Kirk Ireton Gravel Pit in November 1946 three cinerary urns were brought to light. Two were of the Middle Bronze Age Overhanging Rim type. The third "must be regarded as an Iron Age A vase in the Bronze Age tradition, or vice versa." (1) Commenting on V G Childe's classification of the third urn - see above - T G Manby says:- "In the state of Archaeology at that time this might have been a tenable point of view but not today. I do not see why this vessel should be later than the two Middle Bronze Age collared urns it was found with. The fabric and decoration of the pot are Bronze Age and vertically perforated lugs do occur on pygmy cups, and the barrel shape could come from the Deveral urns which are known to occur in the Trent Basin." (2) Major Blackwall, owner of the pit, said that there was one complete urn and fragments of many others, all from a small area as indicated by authy. 1. Now in Derby Museum. (3) (SK 251497) Two collared urns and one barrel urn found in a gravel pit south-west of Kirk Ireton each contained cremations. The barrel urn had two perforated lugs. There were also two scooped holes containing further cremations. Listed in Surveys. (4-6).
- <1> SDR3919 Article in serial: Childe, V G, Warwick, G & Johnson, G. 1948. 'Cinerary urns from Kirk Ireton', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 21, pp 31-6.
- <2> SDR8244 Unpublished document: Letter (TG Manby to Tolson Memorial Museum Huddersfield) 30 Jan '64.
- <3> SDR6113 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 21-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p118.
- <5> SDR15735 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz c1980 5.
- <6> SDR2414 Bibliographic reference: Vine, D M. 1982. Neolithic & Bronze Age Cultures of the Middle & Upper Trent Basin. BAR 105.. p197-8.
- <7> SDR9762 Index: NDAT. 1371. 1371.
|Grid reference||SK 2504 4974 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||KIRK IRETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2015 10:50AM