Monument record MDR2738 - Duncote Farm moated site, Millington Green, Biggin
Type and Period (3)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
"At Duncourt Farm, near Millington Green by Biggin Brook … is a small moat of oval shape. If this example belongs to the homestead class, it must be of oval date." (1) A sub-rectangular moat with a causewayed entrance in the north-east angle. The south-east corner has been filled. Re-surveyed at 1/2500. (2) Duncourt Farm Moat, Biggin, is possibly of 'square moat' form. Levelling and filling of the south-east corner in the 18th and 19th centuries makes it difficult to be certain of the full extent of the ditch. (3) The south-east corner is overlain by a farm which has a datestone of 1796 A BS (the Booth family) over the door. (4) The moated site is a scheduled monument comprising a rectangular platform, measuring 30m by 28m, currently enclosed on three sides by a 10m wide moat which is itself surrounded by an outer bank. Apart from a 10m long stretch at its north end ' the east arm of the moat has been filled-in but survives as a buried feature. The original entrance onto the moated platform was via a 7m wide causeway at the north-east corner. The outer bank is best preserved on the north-east side where it measures lm high by 8m wide and is bisected by a 2m wide channel which acted as an outflow for water draining into the moat at the south-west corner. To the west and south it has been somewhat disturbed by agricultural activities post-dating the abandonment of the moat. The slightly sunken floor of a rectangular building can be seen at the north-west corner of the platform and measures c.15m by 10m. The history of the site is not known, but the moated house may have been abandoned in favour of the current farmhouse which has a datestone inscribed 1796. (6)
- <1> SDR19691 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', in The Victoria County History of Derbyshire, Volume 1. pp 357-396. p 389.
- <2> SDR6106 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 18-JUL-66.
- <3> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p148-50.
- <4> SDR9544 Index: NDAT. 0335. 0335.
- <5> SDR4304 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M and Drage, C, 1982 Moated Sites List..
- <6> SDR18483 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1994. Scheduling Notification. 23308. Cat. No.: 322.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2657 4804 (90m by 71m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BIGGIN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2015 3:37PM