Building record MDR2739 - All Saints' Church, Ashbourne Road, Turnditch
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1200 AD to 1900 AD)
All Saints' Chapel has plain square windows that are clearly considerably later than the Reformation. However, a closer inspection of the chapel proves it to be of considerable age. The walls are supported by six buttresses, which are likely to date to the Early English period, about the middle of the 13th century. The buttresses at the four angles of the building are merely the elongation of the east and west walls, so they stand out at right angles to the side walls. Some of the masonry on the north side, and that of the lower half of the western wall, is laid in very regular courses, and the stones are on unusual size for a building of such limited dimensions; many of them are three feet or more in length. Inside the chapel, the font is of undoubted antiquity, although its precise age is uncertain. It probably dates to the fifteenth century. The roof of the chapel is ceiled and whitewashed, but three heavy rough-hewn tie-beams protrude below it. These could not, however, have formed part of the original roof, at least not in their present position. There is a comparatively modern bell-turret on the west gable, which contains a single bell. (1) The church at Turnditch, dedicated to All Saints', comprises chancel and nave, with a western bell turret. It was formerly a chapelry under Duffield, but there is no record of its foundation. Above the southeast door is the date 1630, which probably refers to a restoration at that time. The church was restored, enlarged by the addition of a chancel, and refurnished in 1883, at a cost of £700, which was raised by subscription. The font is octagonal in shape, and evidently very ancient. There was no burial ground until 1846; and in 1890 additional ground was consecrated. (2) An Anglican church dated 1630, with 18th and 19th century additions and alterations. It is built of coursed gritstone rubble with coped gables, and has a plain tiled roof. It comprises 19th century west gable bellcote, south porch, nave and chancel, with a vestry to the chancel rear wall. The gabled south porch has shallow buttresses, and a pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and stops. There is a four-bay nave with two-light flat headed windows, with segmental cusped heads to the lights. Stepped buttresses delineate the bays, with a doorway to the easternmost bay that has a cambered lintel. The doorway has a quoined surround and a 18th century six-panelled door. The two-bay chancel rises off a shallow plinth, with two single-light trefoil cusped windows. There is a three-light east window with simple tracery beneath a hoodmould with stops, and a late 19th century vestry to the rear. (4) The earliest mention of this church is in the report of the Parliamentary Commissioners in 1650, which recommended that Turnditch, being a chapel of Duffield, should be made a parish united to 'Shottle, Posterne and Windley'. The south-east door gives a date of 1630, but Cox dates the walls as being as early as the 13th century. The church was enlarged and the chancel replaced in 1882-4 by Giles & Brookhouse. (5)
- <1> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 150-1.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 693.
- <3> SDR6106 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 18-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109063, Original Uid: 79033.
- <5> SDR20951 Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 179.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2955 4659 (25m by 19m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TURNDITCH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2014 10:40AM