17th century house on the north side of the road. In 1978 it was empty and derelict. The windows were originally mullioned and there is a stone over the door head panelled "W.G". (1)
The W G stands for William Glossop. An inventory of 1604 lists the goods of the first William Glossop but does not contain references to rooms in the house he occupied. Two wills of descendants named William Glossop are dated 1647 and 1675. The building is an early-mid 17th century farmhouse, with later alterations and additions, re-furbished in the late 20th century. It is built of coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings, brick gable stacks and a plain blue tile roof covering. Internally, there are the remains of a smoke hood at upper floor level below the attic stairs and in the attic. (2)
Vernacular building dated to 1736, as seen on a door lintel, built as an addition to an earlier 17th century house. (3)
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 3133. 3133.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 258 493 (19m by 11m) (Approximate)
KIRK IRETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 11 2015 2:03PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.