Monument record MDR2767 - Moated site (remains of), Shirley Hall, Hall Lane, Shirley
Type and Period (2)
- MOAT (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD to 1780 AD?)
- MANOR HOUSE (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD to 1780 AD?)
Shirley Hall was described in Bagshaw's Directory of 1846 as follows: 'Part of the manor house of the Shirleys, who settled here in the reign of Henry II, still remains, and forms part of a farm house. It is nearly surrounded with a moat, and in one of the rooms is the arms of the Ferrers. Mr William Goodall is the occupant, whose family, with the exception of 25 years, have resided in it upwards of 400 years. (1) There is evidence that the moat continued round the south-east corner but was probably never complete, as a retaining wall at the north-east end appears original. The published survey 1/2500 was revised in 1966. (2) In 1789 Pilkington wrote "At Shirley stood a few years ago the ancient seat of the family of Shirley; but now it is entirely taken down and scarcely a vestige is to be seen". In fact a moat remains immediately west of the farmhouse. The 5th Earl Ferrers sold two parks in the 18th century, but the family retained much at Shirley. The original homestead was abandoned when they inherited Staunton Harold in the 15th century. The site was tenanted by a branch of the Pegges until 1782, when the demolition probably occurred. (3) The site was scheduled at the end of January 2013 and comprises a medieval moated manorial complex present as a series of earthworks, parchmarks and buried deposits. The major elements of the complex are believed to survive well, with a clearly defined and relatively undisturbed platform, three water-filled arms and one buried arm of the moat. There is good evidence for the survival of significant archaeological deposits, including waterlogged organic material, while the existence of documentary evidence enhances the understanding and significance of the site. In addition, the moated site has strong group value with Shirley Hall Farmhouses and stables, located within the moated enclosure, and the cowhouse which is located just to the north-east, all of which are listed at Grade II. (4)
- <1> SDR2399 Bibliographic reference: Bagshaw, S. 1846. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire. p 329.
- <2> SDR6325 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 24-AUG-66.
- <3> SDR18913 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 89.
- <4> SDR21452 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2013. Moated site at Shirley Hall. List entry no. 1412369.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2201 4179 (118m by 99m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SHIRLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2014 4:21PM