Building record MDR2774 - All Saints' Church, Church Lane, Mugginton, Weston Underwood
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Victorian - 1066 AD? to 1845 AD)
[SK 28324287] All Saints Church [T.U.] (1) A church and a priest are recorded at Mugginton at the time of the Domesday Survey. The present church, which is dedicated to All Saints, consists of a nave, south aisle and porch, chancel and tower at the west end. The tower is, to a great extent, the same that was here in the Norman period, although it has been much altered and battlements added at later dates. The north bell-chamber window is of Norman design and so is the corbel-table below the present battlements. The original round-headed doorway in the west wall of the tower has been blocked by a massive buttress and 'a doorway of the worst possible taste' opened in the south wall. A window of corresponding style was at the same time inserted in the west wall of the south aisle, these alterations being apparently about 1750-1800. There is no other trace of Norman work. There is a doorway of c. 1250-1275, the south doorway and porch are of the beginning of the 14th century, and the south aisle was lengthened towards the east, so as to form a chancel chapel, in around the mid-15th century. There were further considerable alterations in c. 1485-1509. According to Cox, much 'mischief' was done when the church underwent a 'ruthless renovation' in 1845, at which time several monuments disappeared from within the church. (2) All Saints Church at Mugginton has a Norman west tower which has been much altered. Elsewhere there is 13th and 14th century work, the south chancel chapel being Perpendicular. (3) The church is recorded as being in normal use in July 1966. (4) The Church of All Saints is built from coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. The roofs are mainly lead with moulded coped parapets however the roof to the porch is plain tiles with coped gables. The west tower is of three stages divided by a chamfered and a plain stringcourse, the upper one to the north and part of west side is arched as a corbel table. The south wall of the tower was rebuilt in ashlar, with an 18th century round-arched doorway with a stone lintel and glazed overlight. The west elevation has a massive central buttress with nine set-offs. The lower bell stage to the north has 12th century paired bell openings with Gothic arches and a polygonal shaft, embraced by a plain round arch on nook shafts, one missing. The 12th century roofline is visible to the east. The upper bell stage is of ashlar with battlements and 2-light bell openings in each direction under flat heads. Cusped arched lights, renewed to south and west without cusping. Four gargoyles above. Nave and chancel have moulded stringcourses. The north side has a coat of arms breaking above the parapet. The chancel east wall has diagonal buttresses, a carved stone with the Staffordshire Knot and a carved stone with the crest of the Sanders family. The south aisle has five buttresses, it extends into the chancel and partly overlaps the south window. There is a late 13th century Priest's door, re-set, with roll moulding and outer filleted roll moulding and an early 14th century south doorway of two chamfered orders, the arch with a roll and hollow moulding. Inside there is a round-arched 12th century tower arch with keeled responds and a double stepped arch. Above it there is a round-arched window with deep splay, probably the west window of the 11th century church. The chancel arcade has carved capitals with heads and foliage motifs and in the south east corner of the chancel there is a low four-centred arched entrance opening down into a void, perhaps a crypt. It retains the 15th century parclose screen in the south aisle as well as 17th century pews. Monuments: Table tomb with brasses to Joanna Knifeton 1475. Wall tablet to Samuel Webster, died 1759, slate with a moulded stone surround. Wall tablet to Samuel Pole, died 1758, and on the north wall, a tablet to a person who died in 1687. 15th century octagonal font with quatrefoil motifs, completely recut in the 19th century. In the south west corner of the nave and on the underside of an arch in the chancel are traces of wall painting. Stained glass: In the east window of the south aisle are 15th century shields. (5) The bells of All Saint's Church are of historical significance. Dated to circa 1500, the bells were made by the Mellours Foundary of Nottingham. (6)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. p 211-223.
- <3> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 188-9.
- <4> SDR6113 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 21-JUL-66.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109067.
- <6> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2833 4287 (32m by 17m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WESTON UNDERWOOD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2015 3:40PM