SK 2784 4206. Three fragments of pottery, picked up here 'during the war' were identified as Roman by J E Bartlett of Sheffield City Museum. They consist of two handle sherds from a large amphora, and part of the vessel wall where the handle sprang from. Now [in 1955] in the possession of Miss M Lowe of Hathersage. (1)
The pottery was found by Miss Lowe, then a land girl, in the field indicated above. There was no further information available in 1966. (2)
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 21-JUL-66.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2784 4206 (point) (Centre)
MERCASTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2011 10:30AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.