Monument record MDR2787 - Deserted medieval village, Mercaston
Type and Period (1)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
SK 278 424. The possible location of the deserted medieval village at Mercaston. (1) [Centred SK 271423] Town Field. (2) Nothing of significance was noted as being present in the area of Town Field in 1950. (3) Mr Naylor, owner of Mercaston Hall in 1966 indicated a field centred at SK 27954220 containing old roads but they appear to be field roads, although one house site was seen at SK 27864216. Two other house sites were indicated at SK 279422 but nothing is visible there now. A complex of three fishponds [see SMR 23306] are possibly associated with the village, which may have been a ribbon development along the road. (4) The site of the possible deserted medieval village of Mercaston is listed in the survey at approximately SK 278424. (5) The manor of Mercaston is recorded in Domesday Book as being part of the large estate of Henry of Ferrers and as having belonged to Gamel before the conquest. It is described as having '6 villagers and 4 smallholders' and a mill site. (6) Different grid references are provided by some of the above authorities. However, Burdett's map of Derbyshire dated 1762-1767, shows the village of Mercaston as a linear street form of up to 12 possible dwellings, with the site of the old mill [see SMR 30105] also clearly marked. This depiction, although schematic, has been used to plot the deserted settlement on the GIS. (7) What appears to be a series of buildings can also be seen in the south-eastern part of this area on the very edge of Sanderson's Map of 1835. Most of these buildings are no longer present by the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880 (apart from The Gables). (8, 9)
- <1> SDR83 Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M. 1954. Lost Villages of England. p 346.
- <2> SDR4065 Bibliographic reference: Corr 6" (F.W Munslow) 14.2.58.
- <3> SDR802 Aerial Photograph: A.P.'s 541/481, 3094-6 - 7.4.1950.
- <4> SDR6113 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 21-JUL-66.
- <5> SDR5031 Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M & Hurst, J. 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages.
- <6> SDR18516 Bibliographic reference: Wood, S (translator). 1978. Domesday Book: Derbyshire (Phillimore edition). text 6,96.
- <7> SDR3582 Map: Burdett, RP. Survey of Derbyshire, Began in the Year 1762 and finished in the Year 1767.
- <8> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <9> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 274 426 (1170m by 735m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MERCASTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 9 2019 1:30PM