"A large barrow on Brassington Moor, usually called Galley Lowe, but formerly written Callidge Lowe" was excavated by Thomas Bateman on the 30th June and 3rd July 1843 and 10th May 1844. During the first excavation, about 0.6 metres (2ft) below the surface of the mound were recovered a number of human bones. Amongst these remains were several pieces of iron (some rivets, perhaps from a coffin), two arrowheads, a whetstone of coarse sandstone, a bone pin, some pottery, two beads (one green glass, the other white enamel), 13 pendants of gold (11 with garnet settings), and a barrel shaped bead of gold wire. These objects were dated to the 7th century. On the 3rd July, a child inhumation, an adult inhumation, pottery, a perforated ivory artefact, a flint arrowhead, a piece of ironstone and a fragment of stag's horn were found. Between the two skeletons and the centre of the barrow four more skeletons were found, two of which are young persons and an incense cup. The final excavation uncovered a human skeleton about three ft above the natural surface, a cremation and another inhumation of a young person. (1).
An intrusive inhumation was accompanied by a gold and garnet necklace of Kentish type of the seventh century. Also found were several iron rivets, perhaps of a coffin, iron arrowheads (?), a bone pin etc. (2). A Food Vessel of Manby's type 3(iii) was found near the head of a skeleton accompanied by a bone dagger pommel. (3).
A barrow of approximately 75 feet in diameter and eight feet high, showing a stone cairn structure. (5). The tumulus is situated at SK 21805649 and was surveyed at 1 to 2500 in 1966. (6). In the late 1950's human remains were revealed after ploughing, including a skull with a quartzite pebble in its mouth. The remains were reburied by Mr. and Mrs. F Radford. (8).
In 1989 the barrow comprised a large ploughed-over mound of somewhat distorted shape. The very summit may never have been ploughed, as suggested by a lynchet to the south-east. The sides have been somewhat spread. The barrow was recorded by Rooke in the late 18th century and excavated by Bateman in 1843 and 1844. During the late 1950s, the Radford's recovered more human bones and a quartzite pebble. (9).
Galley Low bowl barrow became a scheduled monument on the 19th August 1992. It is a roughly circular cairn situated on Brassington Moor in the south-eastern uplands of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. The monument includes a mound measuring 31 metres by 28 metres by c. two metres high and the surrounding construction ditch which is buried beneath accumulated soil. Originally the barrow was somewhat larger, its edges having been reduced by agricultural activity. In addition, the mound has been partially disturbed by excavations carried out by Thomas Bateman in 1843 and 1844. During these excavations, the barrow was found to contain at least eight adult and child skeletons, including one associated with a cremation on a flat stone and another with a pottery food vessel. These and other objects date the barrow to the Bronze Age, during which time it had an extended period of use. In addition, iron rivets and arrowheads, a glazed pot-sherd and a seventh century necklace indicate the re-use of the barrow in the Anglian period. Bateman's account of his excavations also indicates that in the late 18th century a second smaller ditched cairn lay adjacent to Galley Low on its south side. (10).
Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (11)